There is a great profusion of medical information available for free on the Internet, and a lot of it is good. Yet even good information may not be completely useful to the reader who may not know if it is trustworthy. By contrast, there is also a lot of medical information available for sale that is produced by well-known authors and organizations, though not always for free.
This volume aims to be both free and accurate.
To ensure medical accuracy, each chapter was reviewed by an attending orthopaedic surgeon expert who was not involved in the creation of the material. These reviewers were asked to read the chapter with one overriding goal in mind: to detect errors. We are grateful to the following reviewers, all of whom offer their assurance that the chapter under their review is a fair, reasonable and valid representation of the topic for medical students, devoid of gross errors of omission or commission.
- Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis was reviewed by Michael Glotzbecker, MD
- Ankylosing Spondylitis and Other Spondyloarthropathies was reviewed by Andrew Milby, MD
- Burners and Stingers was reviewed by Andrew Milby, MD
- Cervical Radiculopathy and Myelopathy was reviewed by Malcolm Ecker, MD
- Early Onset Scoliosis was reviewed by Lindsay Andras, MD
- Lumbar Disc Disease was reviewed by Jonathan Grauer, MD
- Lumbar Spondylosis was reviewed by Peter Derman, MD
- Scheuermann’s kyphosis was reviewed by Jeff Sawyer, MD
- Spinal Infection was reviewed by Elizabeth Ames, MD
- Spinal Trauma & Spinal Cord Injury: General Principles was reviewed by Eric O Klineberg, MD
- Spinal Trauma & Spinal Cord Injury: Specific Injuries was reviewed by Malcolm Ecker, MD
- Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis was reviewed by Andrew Milby, MD
Further, to help ensure clarity (and help copy-edit as well) each chapter was reviewed by a medical student who was not involved in the creation of the material. We are grateful to the following Medical Student Reviewers: Jacob Ghahremani, Nathan Hasbani, Omair Kazi, Oscar Shen, Dennis Sievers, and Emily Wilson.
A NECESSARY DISCLAIMER
Peer-review notwithstanding, this being 21st century America, we must include the following Disclaimer, similar to those found in works produced by well-known authors and organizations.
This material was prepared for educational purposes only. We therefore disclaim any and all liability for any damages resulting to any individual which may arise out of the use of the material presented here. We similarly disclaim responsibility for any errors or omissions or for results obtained from the use of information contained here.
This material is not intended to represent the only, nor necessarily best, method or procedure appropriate for the medical situations discussed, but rather is intended to present an approach which may be helpful to others who face similar situations. We cannot can take any responsibility for the consequences following the application of any of the information presented here.
The information provided here cannot substitute for the advice
of a medical professional. Even if a given statement is completely true in the abstract,
it may not apply to a given patient.
The information we offer is provided “as is” and without warranty of any kind.